Saturday, February 27, 2010

The Influence of the Subconscious - Woman of My Dreams

Have a listen to Woman of My Dreams by clicking play below


Dreams have always been a fascinating topic for me. Perhaps it is the occasional lucid dream or (more likely) my love of sleeping but I enjoy dreams immensley. I should note that I don't see dreams as some sort of prophecy machine of the Mass Subconscious. Rather, I see them as a massive data dump of a brain that is bombarded by stimuli on a daily basis. To put it very un-romantically, dreams are the bodily function of the brain. That being said, I enjoy the narratives that my subconscious creates, I love trying to remember them upon waking and I love analyzing their contents.

Which brings us to the song.

You were the woman of my dreams and you wore a red dress. I wondered if I would remember. And I'm glad I did. I'm glad I did.

I dreamt of this woman and in typical dream logic, somehow knew that she was The One. When I woke up I was struggling to remember anything about her and was profoundly grateful to remember such trivial details as the red dress.


You bent and whispered in my ear that you were Aphrodite. I looked deep into your eyes and I could tell you were telling the truth; your eyes seemed to scream out to me about the Truth (Truth and Love)


Brings to mind this image from Twin Peaks (I couldn't find an image Laura whispering into Cooper's ear, but you get the picture).



This happened exactly as described in the dream. The line Truth and Love was just trying to capture the raw emotion that I saw in this dream woman's eyes. However, the way that I deliver it is very nonchalant and casual. I suppose that this to contrast with any sort of greater importance that those words have associated with them.


Woman of My Dreams, Will I recognize you when I'm not asleep


This line of the bridge and outro was the core around which the rest of the song was written. I had the chords and I pictured them as being sung by a warbling serenader in the 1920s. The rest of the chords of the song we're written in order to make the bridge/outro more of a musical release.

The lines "Your eyes seemed to scream out to me about the truth" has an odd chord behind it. I believe it's Ebmin9 and once again, it's harsh minor tonality serves as a tension that is released when I return to the normal verse chords.

Special Bonus! More lyrics!

One detail that would have been covered by an additonal verse was that the Woman of My Dreams wore Jackie O glasses. Here's is that verse:

You were the woman of dreams
and you wore sunglasses
I wondered if I would remember
They were Jackie O's
They were Jackie Onassis-es Glasses-es


Didn't quite fit with the rest of the song, but still something that bounces in my mind when I play the song.

No comments:

Post a Comment